|HOW CAN I PREPARE FOR THE WEATHER?
METEOROLOGIST JEFF HABY
To prepare for the weather it is important to keep up with the weather forecast. The official
National Weather Service forecast is at your fingertips. The link below has weather data and
weather forecasts from each of the NWS offices.
You can also get the NWS forecast on NOAA weather radio and on TV.
If you want to practice making weather forecasts then I would recommend learning how to read the
weather forecast models and MOS. The link below has tutorials.
Once you have the forecast then you can plan your activities and dress around it. Be careful
outside if the weather is bad. Make sure you are properly dressed for the weather. Below is
some additional advice when preparing for the weather:
1. Have all the weather equipment you need to deal with the weather such as an umbrella, sunblock, clothing
and ice removal equipment
2. When traveling, leave earlier if weather is going to be bad and drive slower
3. When it is cold make sure head, feet and hands are covered since heat is quickly lost through these
areas. When it is hot make sure to drink plenty of fluids and do not overexert
4. Have a plan in case of a weather emergency such as a tornado or hurricane
5. Tell others about the weather so they will be prepared also