|HABY'S LIGHTNING AND FLOODING|
METEOROLOGIST JEFF HABY
The two greatest weather killers are
flooding. Any location that has a thunderstorm
is susceptible to these serious weather problems. Below is advice for minimizing the risk from
lightning and flooding:
1. Stay inside when lightning occurs.
2. Unplug sensitive equipment during a thunderstorm.
3. Stay away from water whether inside or outside during a thunderstorm.
4. Do not use electrical equipment during a thunderstorm. If you must use electrical equipment
then make sure it is battery powered.
5. Try not to live in flood prone areas.
6. Go to higher ground if your location will flood.
7. Do not drive into water of unknown depth.
8. Be especially cautious at night since many flash flood deaths occur in automobiles at night.
9. If the power goes out have a battery operated radio and mini-TV.
10. Make sure all the family is safe during the storm.